Tuesday, July 19, 2011

dancing in the moonlight

Saw HP7.2 this evening with S... I totally expected him to crack first, but I was weeping like a crazy person about 45 minutes into it.

I don't have a long history with Harry, other than making fun of my friends who were reading the books. I saw the first movie in the theater when it came out, because it was free and I had nothing else to do.

It wasn't until the summer that the Deathly Hallows was released that I thought I should see what the fuss was all about. I went on a vacation with book one, thinking maybe I'd get to reading it. I started one night and ending up reading the whole book in one sitting, something I haven't done since I was in elementary school. Who knew a children's series about wizards could be so well-written and so engaging to a person in her late 20s?

Harry Potter is in fact about a lot of things... wizards being the least of them. That's for a whole other post. Tonight I mostly just wanted to say something to all the people on the internets who are losing their shit over the movies being over. You are all missing the most beautiful thing about it. About Harry Potter, Frodo, even Edward fucking Cullen. About books in general.
They will always be there for you, waiting. Whenever you need them. Even though you know where the journey ends, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride again.

And so, after crying my way through the final Harry Potter film this evening, I walked down to my local bookstore and bought books one and two (for the second time). So I can start all over again.

No comments: